Wednesday, April 2, 2014

a blank slate



I haven't been posting much here or on the other blog. I haven't felt inspired very often, and even at moments during which I think maybe there's something I could write about, when I open the computer, my fingers just sit there on the keyboard, twitching perhaps, but not typing anything. Oh well. Silence is accurate, as Mark Rothko said.

This morning was the final, tragic round of trying to get new glasses. At last, in utter frustration, I asked to have my money refunded. The eye doctor agreed! It was not a match made in heaven. As for new glasses, I'm putting that project aside for the time being. I'll wear the red frames and scratched up lenses a bit longer. I can see well through them - except for the scratches.

I would go on a bit, bellyache about the problems with the eye doctor, but this morning I received word that one client, a young woman barely into her 40s, someone who decided to cut off both her breasts when she got a breast cancer diagnosis in one breast a few years ago, now has cancer in her bones. A recurrence of cancer is never a good sign. Likewise I heard that a dear old friend from my San Francisco days is hospitalized with lung cancer.

It's a little hard to get worked up about my glasses, given the sad news. You know what I mean?

Winter was hard on me, and as I keep hearing from my clients, I'm not the only one to have been sucked dry by the season. We still haven't had more than 2 or 3 days of weather warm enough to sit outside without shivering a little bit. We need a week of warm, beautiful days. The trees need it, too. They're blooming, but even so, they look a bit bedraggled. That last freezing rain (this past weekend) damaged some of the blossoms. Yada yada yada.

This isn't 14th century London, or 1st century Jerusalem. I do not have cancer. I have nothing to complain about!

Between now and the 23rd (when I leave for Paris), I guess I'm just twiddling my thumbs.

Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment